Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Famous Karoly Honey Wheat Bread of Deliciousness

This is my absolute favorite bread recipe. It makes of a delicious yet healthy bread.
Anything with *** is an optional ingredient. It will add to the nutritional value and/or the structure of the bread, but is not necessary. I WOULD suggest using the wheat gluten though. It is best to use wheat gluten any time you are using whole wheat flour (1 T wheat gluten to 1 C wheat flour).

For 2-3 loaves:

2 1/2 C warm water
2 1/2 T yeast
3/4 C honey

Mix these together first. I make mine in a Kitchen Aide cuz it's fast and easy.

Add 1 at a time, always mixing:
***1-2 T liquid lecithin (double if using the powder)
4 C whole wheat flour
4 T wheat gluten
1 T salt
1/2 C cooking oil
3-4 C white flour
***2 T dough enhancer

Once bread is all thoroughly mixed, let the machine knead it a little longer, about 5 minutes. remove from bowl and place in a greased bowl. Let rise till doubled (60-90 minutes). Remember, this is a wheat bread, so it is dense and will not rise as fast as just white breads. Once doubled, punch down, shape into 2 loaves (sometimes I put it into 3 loaves, they will be slightly smaller but I like it better) and place in greased pans. I grease them with crisco, I find they come out MUCH easier. Let rise till doubled (about 45-60 minutes) and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Release onto cooling rack immediately.

I make honey butter to go with the bread. Jam is also delicious. You can eat it plain though and you'll be just as happy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment