Sunday, October 24, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

I just tried this recipe tonight (along with the yummy breadsticks below) and it is definitely a keeper! It's perfectly yummy, fast, and made with ingredients I always have on hand. It's out of my one of my most favorite cookbooks called "Favorites: a collection of Ivory family recipes". To see this book click here. So here's the recipe:

3 TBSP butter
1 C. finely chopped onion
2 TBSP flour
1 (14 1/2 oz) can of chicken broth (I always just use warm water with bullion dissolved in)
4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper (I just omitted the white and did twice as much black)
1 tsp dried basil
dash of Tobasco sauce ( I used chalula cause we had it, I'm sure you could leave it out too)
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 C. half and half (I just used milk)

Garnish with:
Grated Cheddar cheese
Sour cream
Crumbled bacon
Chopped green onion

Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onions and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often. Gradually add chicken broth. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, basil, Tabasco, and garlic salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Stir in half and half; heat through. Serve with desired garnishes. Serves 4, but doubles easily. DELISH!
Total time: 30 minutes

2 comments:

  1. We had this tonight and was indeed DELISH!! Reed loved how spicy it was! I also used my FREE food storage potato chunks and couldn't tell it wasn't fresh potatoes. Double plus! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good! Jake couldn't stop eating it, which is always a good sign. :-) Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete